The Piggott Historical Plaque near The Village Shopping Centre, Australind, honours first settlers, farmers, tanners and bootmakers Benjamin (1814-1892) and James (1823-1888) Piggott.
The Piggott brothers arrived in Port Leschenault (Australind) per the Trusty, on 23 May 1844 with the West Australian Land Company.
Benjamin settled at Springhill, located towards Binningup, with his wife Sarah (nee Eagleton). He is buried in a small cemetery close to the old house on Springhill.
James was not happy with the purchased land and moved to another property east of Australind on the Brunswick River he called Ditchingham. He also had a house near where the Australind Police Station on Paris Road now stands. He married Johanna Simmons on 1 January 1852 at Australind.
James’s sons, John and William farmed at Brunswick, and Joseph settled at ‘The Long Swamp’ Myalup. Descendants of Benjamin and James reside across the South West.
7 Mulgara St, Australind WA 6233, Australia